Saturday, June 1, 2013

Weekend Special: Lunch at Burgoo

I was looking at promotions offered for my Citibank card, I saw that Burgoo had a 50% promo discount. My hubby and I will do a quick grocery shopping to buy food for the little one at Powerplant so I thought of having lunch at Burgoo since it has been a while since we have eaten there. Plus the fact that we'd only pay half the price is way too enticing.

Apparently, Burgoo Powerplant was not a participating branch for the promo. We were there already and we didn't really have another place in mind to eat so we decided to stay.



  

For starters we had the sampler which was a plate of mozzarella sticks, buffalo wings, cheesy fries and onion rings. It was a hefty size for a regular serving (Servings come at regular and large sizes). However, the buffalo wings were dry. The sauce looks like it was just brushed on top of the wings. It didn't even cover all of it. The two pieces of celery sticks that came with the platter were thin and stringy. The cheesy fries was not cheesy at all. I'd say it only had about a teaspoon of cheese sauce and about half a teaspoon of crumbled bacon. Now the breaded mozzarella cheese was ok but I've had better. The breading was on the bland side for me and the marinara sauce that went with it didn't really help. Now the onion rings. We love onion rings and we almost always order it if it's on the menu. Well this one, it was crunchy but overcooked almost burnt even. The onion inside was on the thin side so you can hardly taste it.

Supreme Sampler Php 425
For our main course, I got an Oklahoma baby back ribs while the hubby got grilled  pork chops. Then I got the Cheesy beef baked macaroni.

Let's start with the ribs. I was not familiar with this kind of sauce so I was a bit surprised that it was tangy almost sour. I don't like tangy rib sauce. I hate wasting food so I remedied that with hot sauce. The size of the slab was just right. But you can see right away that it is a bit thin. And when you slice through each rib, there was not much meat as say compared to Racks or Chili's. And though they had fries, none of the other potato-based side dishes were available.

Oklahoma Baby Back Ribs Php 595


I forgot to take a picture of what hubby got. He had the large grilled pork chops (Php475). The size was just right. There were two pieces for the large serving vs just one for the regular. It came with two sides and he chose corn and coleslaw. It also had gravy. It was pretty ok except that there were portions near the bone that was raw. The coleslaw was watery and tasted like it was frozen and just defrosted.

The baked macaroni had a lot of mozzarella on top. The penne was al dente but I think I make a better baked mac. The husband says the garlic bread that came with it tasted like paper so I didn't bother.


Cheesy Beef Baked Macaroni Php 295
There really was no redeeming factor with our Burgoo lunch except the service. The waitresses were attentive with refilling hubby's drinks.

I guess this was the reason we never really eat at Burgoo anymore. With the price we paid, we should have gone elsewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear from you!