Saturday, February 15, 2014

Biggest Loser: The Lunchbox diet review

As with a lot of people, my one new year's resolution is to lose weight. My son has turned 17 months and I really do not have any excuse to be carrying all this weight.

I have always had a hard time dieting. I would prefer to exercise than to follow a strict diet. Problem is, I don't have as much time these days. Ok...I admit, I'm just too lazy (kung gusto may paraan, right?). I have a lot of other excuses but really, I think it boils down to laziness as far as exercising is concerned. But I promise, I will exercise...someday...haha! Soon...some time this year...Mr. S and I promise that we will exercise once the gym at our place finally opens.

While waiting for the gym to open, I decided to try dieting once again. As part of my wedding preps five years ago, I dieted. Mostly, I counted calories and lost about 15 lbs over 6 months. I went to the gym over that time too so that helped tone muscles too. I was dedicated to my goal to lose weight and look good in my wedding gown. This time, I do not think I have the same discipline. For the sake of trying, to jumpstart my weight-loss and fitness goals this year, I employed the help of a food delivery service that would take away having to count calories.

Lunchbox diet is a food delivery service that promises to deliver 3 meals and snack(s) per day that will only total 1200 calories. This is good. Based on calorie counting apps, this is the amount of calories a lazy me should be consuming (based on age, height, current weight and daily activities-which is zero exercise). I found out about them through Facebook. They post their meal plan for the week in their FB page and if you like their menu you can place your order. You will need to fill out a form through their page and you will receive a text message to confirm if they deliver in your area. Once confirmed, payment instructions will be sent to you. After you have paid Php 1,700, though BPI or BDO, you will need to send a copy of the deposit slip through their email address to finally confirm your slot. Then, wait for Monday for your first delivery.

Because of my schedule the next week, I requested for my food to be delivered at my place on Monday and Wednesday. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday deliveries were at my office. They were great with accommodating my request that way. On the first day, they delivered the food at my house around 8:30 AM. I was told that I was at the bottom of the list. I did not have expectations really, but I was really hungry at that time already since I am an early riser. I requested for the deliveries for the next couple of days to be earlier. They were were able to accommodate that too. Tuesday came, it was already 8:45 AM and I still didn't have my food at the office. I was really hungry already. I called them up to ask where my food was. I was told it was delivered to my house contrary to my instructions (which they approved). They apologized and I was told that they will bring my food to the office and pick up the one they delivered at my place. I though it was going to take a while so I decided to buy myself a sandwich lest I faint. After about 10 minutes, I got back to my office and found the delivery guy already waiting for me. So in their defense, they were quick to rectify their mistake. After those incidents, I never had a problem with them. In fact I went through the diet for two weeks. I lost four pounds the first week, gained a few back over the weekend. Lost a few more the next week. The total lost weight was six pounds over two weeks. I think that was a great accomplishment since I kind of cheated on the diet. I would probably total 1500 calories a day. Yes, I ate at extra 300 calories because I was hungry. I couldn't take it. I had to eat. Anyway, I still think 6 pounds in two weeks is great, considering normally, we should really just be losing 2 lbs per week. I would have probably lost more if I really stuck with it. I think the 4 lbs I lost the first week was partly water weight since the food was a little on the bland side for me. Take note though that I tend to be heavy on salt as far as flavoring in food is concerned. What is bland for me might be just right for most. After a couple of meals though, I got used to the lightly salted food that when I went back to my usual diet, I found myself using less of it. And this is generally good for my family.

Anyway, this is what was delivered to me on the first week of my diet. Sorry I forgot which days correspond to which pix. I think overall, the food quality was great. For 1700 per week, that means Php 340 per day for 3 meals and snacks. I think there is value for money as far as taste is concerned. Also, apart from the food portions (of course that is controlled), you really don't feel you are on a diet because you still eat rice, pork and beef. There is also the occasional sweet treat. I love their oatmeal cookie. I'd buy a whole pack if they sell it on its own. The only big thing I didn't like was they claim they serve red rice but to me, this is more brown than red.
Upper left corner: Savory French toast. That's one of my favorites too. I didn't think it would be so tasty so I was pleasantly surprised. Bottom left: Oatmeal cookie. Super love this. One of the best oatmeal cookies I've had. Lower right: Meatball pasta. The meatball itself was pretty tasty but the sauce was not enough to coat the noodles.
Upper left: Forgot the exact name but that is pork medallion with some sauce and jalapeno corn bread. The corn bread was really good. It has a little bit of kick to it. Upper right: Peanut butter and jelly oatmeal. I thought I wouldn't like it since oatmeal was my least favorite diet food. Surprisingly, I liked the hint of peanut butter in it. Middle right: Lemon cupcake. I have a sweet tooth so I guess that is why the desserts stick to me. This one was also a winner. Bottom right: Fish fajitas were alright. Nothing to rave about. Same with the beef and vegetables on the left. The beef was a bit tough to chew on.
I forgot to take pictures of the rest of my food for the day. Left is daing na bangus. It was delicious. To the right is a sloppy joe sandwich. The texture of the bread they used here is a bit weird. I am not sure what brand they used but it's a bit different from Gardenia. This one was too soft for me. The sloppy joe was not saucy and a bit of a challenge to eat. Not one of my favorites. 

I was so hungry that I forgot to take a picture before a took a bite of the pandesal with scrambled tofu. (upper right). it was surprisingly tasty so I liked it. Only the pandesal and fruits stood out to me on that day.
I was not able to take pictures of my food the following week as I was not able to follow the diet as "strictly" as the first week. I think I was invited to eat out a lot of times and I couldn't say no to the company. Friends before diet (excuse nanaman!Haha!). I still lost weight though which is the important thing. 

One thing I noticed though, it seems that the food on the second week wasn't as great as the first one. They also use caramelized onions a lot to make them tasty. If you do not like the onions, you can always lift them with your fork. There are times when it feels like one or two meals tasted the same even if they were called differently.

Of the three similar diet food delivery services I follow in FB, LBD is the cheapest. If you want to try out the no fuss, 1200 calorie diet, you can start with this one. Based on other reviews, weight loss range from 2-5 lbs per week. Again that would depend on your lifestyle as well as your age, gender and height.

I will be trying another food service delivery soon so keep posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear from you!