Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Ordering birth certificates online

Recently, we applied for my son's passport. One of the requirements was an NSO copy of his birth certificate. We did not want to wait in line, like we did when we got our CENOMAR back in 2009 so I decided to order his birth certificate online like I did with our marriage certificate a couple years back.

It is a very easy process. You need to log in at the NSO website and a link will lead you to the steps you have to follow to request for your birth certificate, marriage certificate, CENOMAR, a death certificate. All of these documents cost Php 315 except the CENOMAR that costs Php 415. After completing the form, you can pay over the counter at BDO or Union bank. To save more time, you can also pay through BDO online banking or via credit card. We opted to pay over the counter at BDO. Delivery is then expected within 3-9 working days.

With my past experience, I got our marriage certificate within three days. I was really happy and I expected the same processing time with this request. However, a whole week had passed without receipt of the birth certificate. I went back online to see how I can reach out to customer service and found that you can actually track your orders yourself through the batch request number or request reference number. You can check if the order has been paid and if it has been dispatched. A week after payment, the website still indicated that payment has not been received so I got worried. We had ordered two copies of my son's birth certificate and one copy of my hubby's that cost us Php 945. I sent an email to NSO and got a response about two days after. Apparently, they had a problem with BDO payments and so the delay. The same day, I got a dispatch notice from NSO saying that my request has been sent out. Got the documents the next day.

I still got the birth certificates within the expected time frame but I should have gotten it sooner had there been no issues with the bank. We didn't have any immediate need for these but the follow up I needed to do was a bit of a hassle. I would still go through the same process next time. No waiting in lines, no need to commute. Note though that if you need your documents the same day, you can trek to the NSO branch at Macapagal but be prepared to wait at least half a day.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear from you!