Sunday, May 19, 2013

Weekend Special: Mother's day Lunch

Weekend is a time to unwind. Whether with family or friends these two days are what we look forward to and sometimes is the only thing that pushes us through a hard day at work. Weekend is a time to spend with family and friends, mostly over food.
This portion of my blog will feature places we ate at over the weekend or a recipe I tried that you may want to try out yourselves.
Weekend Special: Mother’s day lunch
We were supposed to have lunch with the Sanchez matriarch at Simply Thai in Greenbelt 5. All seats inside have been reserved and we refused to eat al fresco out in the humid lunch hour on a summer day. It felt like we were walking through a wall of hot air. We moved to Bistro Mango tree a few steps away (thinking that my MIL wanted Thai food). The ambiance was dark (not like the branch at the Fort) and didn’t feel right for a mother’s day lunch. Our last stop was Mr. Jones, an American diner.

Light fixtures
Dessert display/Bar area
The menu was the usual American diner fare which included burgers/sandwiches and milkshakes. Food was a bit pricey, ranging from Php 300-450 for sandwiches alone so we asked how big the portions are. The server said it was pretty big so we asked for our orders to be split for two. And decided that if it was not enough for us, we'll just order more. We ended up satisfied with the portions.
My MIL and FIL shared their Homemade Char-Grilled 100% U.S. Beef "Superman" Burger. They said it was pretty good. They reqested for the burger to be well done. We were surprised when their order came out. It was a pretty hefty size even for a split portion. MIL and FIL said the burger was cooked well and tasted good.
Homemade Char-Grilled 100% U.S. Beef "Superman" Burger (split portion) Php 475
The hubby and I got Reuben's "Diner" Classic more out of curiousity. We watch Man vs Food and there was always some great Reuben sandwich they featured and hubby has never tried one.
I forgot that they use rye bread that is a bit crunchy around the edges. I normally don’t like that sort of bread because it scratches the roof of my mouth. This was no exception. The sandwich itself had corned beef and that’s that. I was expecting another type of meat (I didn’t read the menu) like pastrami (like on TV). It came with fries, sauerkraut, mustard (or could be horseradish) and coleslaw. I’m not a fan.
Reuben's "Diner" Classic Php 380 (split portion)
We also got to share a Wicked Truffled Mac n' Cheese. This was so good. You can really taste the truffles. It had peas, what looks like bits of ham and shiitake mushrooms which I love. I’ll come to eat just this and I won’t share. Haha!
Wicked Truffled Mac n' Cheese Php 395
For our drinks, we got a rootbeer float. The menu says they use A&W. I got excited because A&W rootbeer float brings back some good childhood memories for me but the server said they actually use MUG. What the heck, we still got it. It was actually a surprise because the ice cream was really really good. I think they used caramel instead of vanilla. I would have still preferred an A&W rootbeer float. And it is rather expensive for a float.
Rootbeer float Php 195
And because it was mother’s day, we got free dessert. I think this was called a chocolate caramel crunch cake. It looks pretty. It was a sponge cake with caramel inside. The sponge cake was on the dry side so I didn’t finish it. MIL shared hers with FIL. Sweet!
Free dessert
Service was good. Our servers were polite. Place was clean. That Sunday, there were a lot of foreigners dining there. I guess it really reminded them of home. Hubby and I are planning to come back there just the two of us to sample their other food fare.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would love to hear from you!